Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Gonna Miss This

There is a song out on country stations called, "You're Gonna Miss This". It's about realizing that where you are RIGHT NOW is life. Wishing it away will only keep you from seeing the blessing of the moment. You're gonna miss this time in life, wherever you are.

I used to work really hard at not missing the moment. When Jayci was a baby, I was very careful to not wish for the next phase of her life . . . rolling over to sitting to crawling to walking, etc. I think I set a good precedent for myself. I was very cautious with my other 2 as babies as well. I have slacked a bit.

I must admit since my oldest started Kindergarten this year, I have missed some of the things we used to do with all our kiddos. Although I am thankful for the free childcare (as I've been calling it for a while), now we have to plan fun trips for the weekends like everyone else in the world (zoo, Wild Animal Park, beach, etc.). We no longer get to do things during the week with ALL 3 like we did just a few short months ago. I miss that already.

I have a renewed commitment to live in the moment, to savor the morsel that is currently in my mouth (so to speak). I realize I will have tons of time for things later like shopping without little fingers grabbing everything off the shelves (of course, I'll have to leave Matt at home then too), for quiet dinners with friends, for soaking in the bathtub AND getting all my chores done . . . . More likely than not, I will have time for all those things but I can never have my children in these stages of life again. I can never rewind to the days of them begging for the tickle monster to come back, begging to go play at the "fire truck park", begging to go to McDonalds (yuk). I must drink it in now.

I have a friend in Texas plugging through cancer right now. I did not get to be with her long before we moved to CA but I believe God crossed our paths for a very important reason. (The story is too cool. I'll have to share it another day.) She is in maintenance chemo right now but she has struggled with this crappy disease for several months now. She is savoring the moments with her boys. Of course, she does laundry, cleans dishes, and makes beds but she savors the faces she does these things with. She lives in the moment. I am jealous of her right now. I wouldn't trade my health for anything so I hope I can learn this lesson through her and not have to learn this the hard way. (I love you, A, and I'm praying for you.)

Drink it in, people. It's the only today we get.

I am so blessed . . .

(See my original post: Soakin' Up the Day)

1 comment:

3BoyMom said...

Today only happens once! Be an in-the-moment mama. :)
I wish so much your babies were still around the corner so I could watch them grow! Miss all of you and love you!